- 4 cups whole flour (e.g., whole oat, hemp)
- 1/2 cup oatmeal or hemp hearts
- 1 whole egg
- 1/4 cup maple syrup*
- 1-1/4 cups applesauce
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (e.g., a certified organic, rice
based, gluten and aluminum free product)
- 1 teaspoon Saigon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon finely crushed dried mint leaves (if your horse
likes the taste of mint)
- Extra flour for rolling out dough
- Dehydrated maple syrup and sundried, unsulfured
cranberries for garnish
*For insulin resistant horses, use filtered water or brown rice
syrup in place of maple syrup.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Cover a large cookie sheet with
parchment paper for easy cleanup.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. The dough will pull
away from the sides of the bowl when it is ready to be kneaded
and rolled out.
Sprinkle a cutting board or countertop with flour. Divide your
cookie dough into four balls, knead each one well, then roll them
out separately and cut into squares or other desired shapes. Place
on cookie sheet and garnish with cranberries and/or a sprinkle of
dehydrated maple syrup.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies are golden
in color. Cool cookies completely before storing in an open bowl.
This recipe makes 45 large cookies.